Old Albums You Should Be Listening To: Funky Kingston (1975)

The statement “Bob Marley is the greatest Reggae artist of all time” drives me crazy. All things considered, Marley may come out on top. His cultural significance cannot be denied, not to mention the fact he’s put out more than half of the greatest albums of the genre. However, the other greats of Reggae have their own claims to the title: Peter Tosh is widely acknowledged as the greatest Reggae guitarist, Jimmy Cliff had one of the purest voices of the era and Toots Hibbert put out Funky Kingston.

Funky Kingston, by the group Toots and the Maytals, was released in Jamaica and the UK in 1972 and was then later rereleased in the US in 1975. This review is concerned with the 1975 release.

In 1975, Toots and the Maytals were already a successful band in both Jamaica and the UK. In the UK, the first release of Funky Kingston propelled the group to star-status in underground music circles. While in Jamaica, the group had been extremely popular since the early 60’s thanks to hit singles: “Do the Reggay,” “Pressure Drop” and “54-46: That’s My Number.” “54-46” was especially popular because of the song’s context; the number, 54-46, was lead singer Toots Hibbert’s ID number during an eighteen month jail sentence for possession of marijuana.

Despite this success, the US release of Funky Kingston changed everything. Bob Marley’s Catch a Fire was the first Reggae album ever released internationally; however, Funky Kingston arguably had a greater impact on the US music scene. At the time of the US release, Reggae to the general American audience was simply Bob Marley and nothing more. It wasn’t until the US release of Funky Kingston that Reggae as a genre began to receive mainstream attention.

The album, produced by Island Records Founder Chris Blackwell, is nothing short of genius. The beats are funky and the melodies are truly memorable, but the real power of the album comes from Toots’ voice. The man can flat out sing. Toots’ deep soulful voice is really unusual for Reggae. In truth, it sounds much more like a Marvin Gaye-esque, Motown product than Toots’ Reggae contemporaries. Hibbert began singing in a church choir, and the influence of gospel music as well as Memphis-style blues is evident in every song on Funky Kingston. Blackwell’s production also features a more stripped down sound, which further highlights Toots’ voice.

Don’t spend your life blindly following the cultural credo that Bob Marley is the greatest Reggae artist ever. You’re better than that. As ridiculous as it may sound in the era of Pandora and Spotify, listen to the whole album. It’s worth it, I promise. Plus, I can’t think of a better cure for the February doldrums than listening to 35 minutes of pure human goodness given shape and substance through Reggae.