Sh*t My Friend Says at Dinner

Move over KFC, there’s a new colonel in town. (Disclaimer: we have no clue if he’s actually a colonel, but there is good fried chicken.) Stamm’s Deli: Chicken at its Best is located at 44 East High Street. If you’re looking for an authentic Carlislian experience with a touch of the South, Stamm’s is the place to go. While the location itself is small, the amount of fried food is in fact quite large.

Looking to sample as much food as we could, were able to get chicken wings, chicken tenders, mac and cheese, a stuffing ball, French fries and mashed potatoes without breaking the bank. Much like a fast food restaurant, the food was pre-made and ready immediately.

We sat down in the adjacent dining room (which by the way, is totally slanted, so watch out for that) and admired the décor as we ate our food. In keeping with the theme, there were chicken decorations everywhere, from salt and paper shakers to statues and posters. There were chickens galore. In addition to this, the original menu from 1959 is hanging on the back wall. There’s a reason that Stamm’s has been around for so long; it’s quite popular amongst the residents of Carlisle. At least half a dozen different people came in during the short while we were there. Each seemed to know the menu and the cook really well and had long conversations while waiting.

This brings us to the food. The wings were something; crispy and delicious. The stuffing ball seemed to be a favorite among the locals and with good reason. Despite its unconventional name, it fit well with the rest of the meal because it was basically deep fried stuffing. Yum. (That was not sarcastic). The chicken tenders were respectable, although not as exciting as the wings. If you’re not a fan of how cheesy the mac and cheese in the caf is, then you’ll definitely like Stamm’s. It was more pasta-y (that’s a technical term) than creamy and cheesy. The French fries were kind of whatever—I was kind of distracted by the wings at first, so they were a little cold by the time I got to them. The mashed potatoes were good, but the gravy covering them was really not my thing. If you’re in to slimy and flavorless goop, try it. If not, get the stuffing ball instead.

Overall, it was a unique experience that every Dickinsonian should have in order to get a taste of Carlisle before they graduate.