Noonday Concert Features Range of Student Performers

Bryce Haver ’20, Staff Writer

Last Thursday, March 30, the monthly Noonday Concert was held at the Weiss Center for the Arts in the Rubendall Recital Hall, featuring a wide variety of Dickinson students.

According to the Dickinson College website, the concert series features students in both the performance studies and chamber music programs, and is free and open to the public.

Contributing faculty members Andrea Sokol-Albert, Brian Rotz and Eun Ae Baik-Kim helped by accompanying multiple students on the piano.

Violin performances included Anna Ferry ’19 with Beethoven’s, “Sonata No. 8 in G Major.”

Piano performances included Jong Ho Choi ’18 with Chopin’s, “Nocturne Op.37, No. 1,” Chelsea-Mia Pierre ’18, performing Fétis’, “Se I Miei Sospiri” and Hahn’s, “À Chloris,” Julie Yao ’20, who played Chopin’s “Nocturne Op. 48, No. 1” and Shourya Varan Kishorepuria ’20, with Liszt’s “Nocturne No. 2 ‘Liebestaume.’”

On the trumpet, Morgan Bates ’18 performed Broughton’s “Oliver’s Birthday.”

The concert also included singing performances: Sarah Zimmer ’17, with Mozart’s, “In Uomini, In Soldati,” and Barber’s, “Must the Winter Come So Soon” which was sung soprano by Amanda Kale ’17. Bach’s, “Et Exsuktavit Spiritus Meus” and Duke’s, “The Bird” were both sung soprano by Skylar Mead ’17. Rossini’s, “Anzoleta Avanti la Regatta Anzoleta co Passa la Regatta”, was sung mezzo-soprano by Fiona Farrell ’18 and Cailin Smith ’18 sang Debussy’s “Selections from Ariettes Oibliées.”

Attendees seemed impressed with the quality of the Noonday Concert. Olivia Mao ’20 commented on “how talented all of [her] fellow Dickinsonians are.”

Alexander Haver ’20 said “[he] enjoyed watching [his] friends play, it’s amazing how talented and wonderful they are.”

The concert ran from noon until 1:15 p.m.  The next Noonday Concert will take place on Thursday April, 13.