Why the Women’s March is Far from Over

Maia Baker ‘19, Opinion Columnist

Three weeks ago, the largest single political movement of our lifetimes happened in Washington, D.C. and New York City and Boston and Houston and Paris and Dublin and India and Antarctica (really) and London and Philadelphia and Los Angeles. What began as the “Million Women’s March” became the Women’s March, which became five million women and men and children and dogs worldwide, who became one of the largest movements of solidarity in history.

By now you know what the Women’s March stands for, since it was on every front page of every major newspaper on the day after it happened. If you need reminding, the Women’s March stands for gender equality, reproductive justice, freedom from oppression, the right to love, the right to live, women and men, the rights of all people.

I think that the Women’s March represents the single most important movement of our lifetime, one of the most important movements of our parents’ lifetimes, one of the most important movements in human history. Five million people marched in support of human rights.

A vital element of the unparalleled popular appeal and power of the Women’s March rests on its positive position. The march was conceived in opposition to the policies of the then-incumbent administration, but its declared agenda depended on “pro” positions: pro-choice, pro-equality, pro-LGBTQ, pro-ally, pro-women, pro-men, pro-love. Women carried signs at the marches reading “Women’s Rights are Human Rights” and “Respect Existence or Expect Resistance.” The marches were undeniably, overwhelmingly pro-something, rather than anti-anything.

The marches were powerful, inimitable, immense, indestructible. They were a demonstration of power – our power – the power of voters, of women, of men who support them, of new generations, of all people who gather in support of a cause they believe in. Keep supporting the Women’s Marches. Keep showing up.