Keystone Sweeps Double-header

After posting a school record for wins in 2012, Dickinson baseball lost their first two games of 2013 as Keystone College swept the Devils in a neutral-site doubleheader on Sunday, Feb. 24. Keystone came from behind to win the first game 11-7 before cruising to a 9-1 win.

In game 1, Dickinson led 6-4 at the end of five innings before Keystone put up four runs in the bottom of the sixth. Dickinson committed two infield errors in the seventh inning to allow Keystone to score three more times and take an 11-6 lead.  Ryan Kramer ’14, Andrew Mauro ’13, and Thomas Galuchie ’16 pitched for the Red Devils and allowed 15 hits, but, they were not helped by three errors behind them. Five of the 11 runs were unearned.

Dickinson had a four-run third inning to take their first lead. Trailing 2-0 after two, designated hitter Zee Crawford ’15, who went 3-3 in game 1, got things started with a leadoff double. Third-baseman James Santoro singled to move Crawford to third. Following an out, leftfielder Ben Parker ’15 walked to load the bases.  After a pop-up to the catcher for the second out, Keystone’s center fielder committed an error that allowed all three Red Devils to score. With two on and two out, rightfielder Sam Wachs ’15 knocked in catcher Joe Tursi ’14 with a single to make the score 4-2 Dickinson. Keystone errors in the fourth and fifth innings allowed Dickinson to push their total to six runs.

In game two, Dickinson scored first on another Keystone error as Wachs came in on a passed ball in the third inning. Keystone committed seven errors in the two games combined. Dickinson’s defense was even worse, committing eight errors in game two alone.The pitching staff of Harley Moore ’15, Jimmy Robertson ’16, Tyler Clauson-Wolf ’15, and Matt Cowell ’16 only allowed three earned runs in the 9-1 loss. Dickinson’s offense struggled to get anything going; They only had one baserunner past the second inning and finished with only one hit.

The Red Devils will play again when they host Lancaster Bible on Saturday, March 2.