Swim Teams Set New Records at Conference Championships

The Dickinson Men’s and Women’s swim teams shattered a number of records at Centennial Conference Championships, held Friday, Feb. 22, through Sunday, Feb. 24. Both teams finished fourth overall at the three day meet hosted by Franklin & Marshall. Gettysburg captured the title on both sides for the third consecutive season.

The men’s performance on the weekend was highlighted by Jason Adams ’14. The Outstanding Performer at the championship meet in 2011 and 2012, Adams provided quite an encore, capturing six gold medals on the weekend. Adams broke the school, meet and conference record in the 50 free on day one with a time of 20.16. He grabbed two more golds that evening in the 200 free relay and the 400 medley relay. Zach Yocum ’13 and Eddie Barnard ’13 joined Adams on both of the winning-relays, as Kevin Chibbaro ’13 and Theo Hubbard ’16 rounded out the free relay and medley relay teams, respectively. Hubbard broke a school record Friday night in the 200 IM, placing second overall with a time of 1:54.38.

Records continued to fall for the Dickinson men on day two as Adams set another school, meet and conference record in the 100 butterfly at 49.56. He rounded out his gold medal collection that night with first place finishes in the 100 backstroke and 200 medley relay. The Devils set another record that evening in the 800 free relay as Hubbard, Yocum, Alan Karickhoff ’16 and Chris Miles ’15 finished in 7:09.29. Cam Phillips ’15 provided a final record-breaking performance for the men on Sunday, grabbing first place and setting a school record in the 200 fly with a time of 1:55.24.

Caitlin Klockner ’16 set the tone for a great weekend for the women, capturing first place and setting a school record in the 200 IM (2:09.84) on the first day of competition. Klockner also anchored the 400 medley relay team that finished fourth overall and just .23 seconds away from a school record. Caroline Brennan ’15, Alex Melchiorre ’15 and Clara Russell ’16 rounded out the 400 medley team. Brennan, Melchiorre, Klockner and Carson Gannon ’14 set another school record the following day in the 800 free with a time 7:47.71, good for second overall. Klockner added two more bronze medals on Sunday, setting a school record in the 100 free and finishing third 400 free relay, joined again by Brennan, Melchiorre and Russell. Brennan also claimed a bronze on Sunday in the 200 backstroke.

The women finish the season 9-5 overall, as the men finish at 9-3.