Baseball Ends Five-Game Slide with Walk-Off Win

The Dickinson Baseball team earned their first home victory of the conference season on Sunday, Apr. 21 when they defeated McDaniel 3-2. They were also swept by the Franklin and Marshall Diplomats on Saturday, Apr. 20, losing game one 9-3 and game two 2-0. Matt Primavera ’16 had a walk-off hit to win the game over McDaniel.

The Red Devils managed to bounce back from the tough losses to the Diplomats by relying on the starting pitching of Zee Crawford ’15. He pitched seven and two-thirds and did not give up an earned run. With Crawford dealing, the Devil offense struck first blood in the bottom of the second inning. Steven Haynes ’15 started it off by ripping a single into center field. After Haynes advanced to second off a sacrifice bunt by Joe Tursi ’14, Primavera smacked an RBI double down the left field line to bring in Haynes. The home team managed to add onto their 1-0 lead in the bottom of the fifth inning, when Benn Parker ’15 scored on a wild pitch. Unfortunately, Crawford’s defense would falter behind him and McDaniel scored an unearned run in both the seventh and eighth innings to tie the game at two.

After Tyler Clauson-Wolf  ’15 held the Green Terror at two in the top of the ninth, the Red Devils scored in the bottom half to win it, 3-2. Haynes knocked a single into center-field with one out and proceeded to steal second base. With two outs, Primavera drove in Haynes with the game-winning walk-off single.
After the win against McDaniel, the Red Devils improve their Centennial Conference record to 3-11 and their overall record to 12-22. They also jump a full game in front of Ursinus for ninth place in the conference standings.

This week the Devils finish an overall disappointing season with a few intriguing matchups. They play their final road game of the season on Friday, Apr. 26, at Muhlenberg.  The final games of the 2013 season will be on Saturday, Apr. 27 against Washington College. First pitch for game one is at 12:30 p.m. and game two will start at 3:30 p.m.  This double header will also be their senior day, in which Andrew Mauro ’13 and James Santoro ’13 will play their last games as Red Devils. If you are unable to make the game you can catch all the action on WDCV 88.3 FM or tune in on your computer at http://blogs.dickinson.edu/wdcvfm/online-stream-128-kbps/.