Baseball Splits Double-header with Washington

The Dickinson baseball team  blew out Washington in game one but couldn’t complete the sweep.

Photo Courtesy of Dickinson Athletics

The Dickinson baseball team blew out Washington in game one but couldn’t complete the sweep.

Connor Moore ‘18, Sports Editor

The Dickinson baseball team steamrolled host Washington College in the opener, but couldn’t pull out a win in the second as they split a Centennial Conference double-header on Saturday afternoon, April 15. The Red Devils cruised to an 18-1 game-one win but the Shoremen held on for a 6-4 victory in game two.

The Red Devils kept their bats swinging as they put up outrageous offensive numbers on their way to an 18-1 victory in the opener. Austin Sumners ’18 led off the game with a triple and classmate Robbie Thompson ’18 reached first base safely on an infield single.

Thompson’s hit set the stage for a three-run homer by catcher Rick Hopkins ’18 to put the Red Devils up 3-0 in the first inning.

Jake Band ’17 hit four straight singles, scoring in the second inning and driving in two more runs in the fourth.

Dickinson put up five runs in the fourth inning and tacked on another five in the fifth, with the help of a two-run double from Pat Davis ’20.

The Shoremen put their lone run of the first game on the board in the bottom of the fifth, scoring following a double and a single.

Max Matilsky ’19 hit a solo homer to add a run in the sixth while junior Jonathan Chudacoff ’18  led off the seventh with the Red Devils’ third homer of the day. Davis doubled to score Stephen Sakowicz ’19 for the final of 18-1.

Ryan Vasel ’19 earned the in on the mound, pitching through all nine innings and tallying nine strikeouts to improve to 4-2 on the year.

Seven Red Devils recorded multiple hits in game one. Band went 4-for-5 at-bat in the opener with three RBIs and a run scored while Matilsky went 3-for-5 with two runs scored and two RBIs.

The Red Devils came out swinging early again in game two as Thompson singled and scored on an RBI single from Chudacoff in the first inning.

The Shoremen capitalized on an error to put a run on the board in the bottom half of the inning before Thompson and Chudacoff worked together again in the third to put Dickinson back on top. A three-run third inning, including a two-run double, gave Washington a 4-2 advantage heading into the fourth.

Charlie Meder hit a two-run homer to out the Shoremen up 6-2 in the fifth. Thompson got on base thanks to an error in the eighth and scored off of an RBI single from Davis before Band drove in Sakowicz to cut the deficit to two runs.

Thompson and Matilsky both hit singles in the ninth, but both were stranded as Washington’s defense held on for the win.

The Red Devils improve to 18-14 overall and 5-5 in the Centennial Conference. They travel to Gettysburg College for a 3:30 p.m. start on Friday, April 21.