Relay Raises 55K

Hundreds of students, Carlisle residents and family members gathered together in the Kline Center to help fight back against cancer for the sixth annual Relay for Life fundraiser event.

The annual event, which ran for twelve hours straight between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., featured honorary laps for cancer survivors and in honor of cancer victims. Students could also purchase a luminaria, or bag containg a light, and write the name of a beloved cancer victim or survivor on it.

Brad Meisel ’13, a member of the Relay for Life planning committee and the captain of the Hillel team, explained the process of organizing this event.

“We typically begin planning in the fall and then continue all throughout the year until the event,” he said. “We like to reach out to student organizations early so that they can begin fundraising.  Recently, we’ve been encouraging teams to fundraise on their own.”

Meisel was happy with the turn out at the event.

“It was an incredible success.  Around 300 to 400 people attended and we raised about $55,000.  Ever since we began as a club in 2008, we have raised over $275,000,” said Meisel. “ It really speaks to Dickinson that so many people are willing to give up their time and money to supoort this great cause.

It makes me very proud to attend this school.”

Tracy Wolf ’15, another member of the planning committee and participant on the Kappa Alpha Theta team, echoed Meisel.

“Relay for Life this year was a huge success!” she said. “So many people came and we raised over 55,000 dollars for a great cause.”

The event featured performances from Hypnotic, the Crescendevils, Third Degree Steppers, the Octals, the Infernos and the Syrens.  When attendees were not walking around the track, they could participate in games, contests and other activities including yoga, Zumba and a blindfolded dance competition. The contests and games included a donut eating contest, musical chairs and a pass the orange game.

Haley Weiss ’15, who attended with the equestrian team, praised the event.

“I thought it was incredibly moving and inspiring.  This is an event where students from all sorts of organizations can come together, put their differences aside and join the fight to end cancer,” said Weiss. “I was impressed by the turn out. It’s nice to know so many people are willing to spend a Friday night supporting this cause.”

Students interested in planning for this event next year should contact Relay for Life Committee President Megan Cocoran ’13 at [email protected].