Dickinson Farmhouse Burns in Act of Suspected Arson

Back to Article
Back to Article

Emily Messer ‘20, News Editor

The Carlisle Police (CPD) and Fire Departments responded to a fire at a farmhouse owned by Dickinson College on Sunday, April 8.  According to CPD, “the cause of the fire was incendiary” and “originated on the floor just inside the front door.”

The farmhouse, located at 1290 Ritner Highway, was vacant, according to CPD, and had no electricity supply.

Chief of the Department of Public Safety (DPS) Dee Danser said that the “building is owned by the college but has been vacant and not used for at least 15 years to the best of my knowledge.”  She commented that the fire is “being investigated as an arson,” an investigation being handled by CPD.  “I have no further information I can release at this time.”

Ellis Tucci ’20 went to Dickinson Park to look at the damage commenting, “There was very little visible damage on the building itself. The doors had been removed and were leaning against the front of the building, visibly charred and new boards had been put in their place.”

Jane Dudzinsky ’19 also went to see the farmhouse. “From the outside most of the building looked intact,” she said. “A window and a doorway were boarded up and there was an unhinged door that was pretty badly charred, but that’s all I could really see.”

CPD reported that the “damage [is] estimated at $10,000” and that there were no injuries due to the fire.

CPD asks that anyone with “additional information” contact DPS at 717-245-1349 or at [email protected]