See-Through Window Shades in New Dorm Risk Student Privacy

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students living in the new dorm on High Street have noticed that their window shades are see-through.

Sam Marmo ’19 / The Dickinsonian

Sam Marmo ’19 / The Dickinsonian

Sam Marmo ’19 / The Dickinsonian

Sam Marmo ’19, Contributing Writer

Dickinson students living in the new dorm on High Street were annoyed at move-in to find their window shades were see-through, and now a month later they are irritated that Dickinson has yet to replace the shades. 

“New shades were ordered September 13 and were expected to arrive in 3 to 4 weeks,” said Steve Bobb, project manager of Facilities Management. Bobb said facilities discovered in late August when fall athletes began to move in that the shades were transparent . According to Bobb, facilities is currently waiting on the dorm’s contractors to deliver the new shades.  

“It’s been pretty annoying,” said Sammie Trvalik ’21 of the see-through shades. 

“My room faces Carlisle residents on Conway Street, and I often feel uncomfortable knowing they can see through the windows. It feels like an invasion of privacy,” Trvalik said.

Many students including Trvalik were confused to find paper covering their windows when the first arrived on campus. An email later that week from Residence Life explained the paper was installed for temporary privacy. Now, a month later with no new shades, Trvalik said: “it’s getting ridiculous.”

Another resident living in the new dorm, Neve Brennan ’21, said after a few weeks she removed the paper because it did not allow her to open the windows and gave her and her roommate a feeling of claustrophobia.  

Brennan also said she has had to be extra careful, especially at night, when getting changed, as her closet is right in front of the window and her room can be seen directly from the street. 

Henry Cordisco ’21, another resident of the dorm, said his experience has been “annoying and extremely uncomfortable so far.” 

Cordisco said the shades fail to block the street lights at night, often causing his room to be very bright and difficult to sleep in.

“They should have fixed the shades by now. I have seen other problems being fixed in the building, and it is frustrating it has taken so long,” said Cordisco. 

He also said he has seen other residents trying to cover the windows with towels or flags. JB Parker-Blier ’21 has covered his window with a rainbow pride flag. 

Director of Residence Life and Housing Amanda George explained she was made aware of the problem with the shades in August and is aware facilities had ordered new ones. She said that she has not received any complaints directly from students.

Facilities is embroiled with other projects on campus, like general mold removal following a wet summer and renovations to East College. Some students feel the see-through shades in the new dorm should be a pressing issue and relatively easy fix. 

“Dickinson knew it was a problem before most students got here. It should have been taken care of right away,” said Brennan.