Pats’ Championship Hopes Deflated

Connor Moore ‘18, Sports Editor

The Philadelphia Eagles are finally Super Bowl champions, after several decades and three trips to the big game. The game came down to the wire, but Philadelphia pulled out a 41-33 win, forcing the New England Patriots to settle for five championships for now.

The Eagles dominated the first half offensively, taking a  22-12 lead into halftime following a touchdown pass from tight end Trey Burton to quarterback Nick Foles on a trick play called the ‘Philly Special’ at the end of the second quarter.

The Patriots roared back in the second half though, as quarterback Tom Brady tossed three touchdowns to put New England up by one point with 9:26 remaining in the game. Philadelphia answered with a touchdown of their own after a seven-minute drive.

The Eagles defense came in clutch when it mattered most, as Brandon Graham got a crucial strip-sack on Brady and Derek Barnett recovered to give Philadelphia possession of the ball in great scoring position. The Eagles scored a quick field goal and prevented a score on the Patriots’ final drive to hold on for the win.

Foles went 28/43 for 373 and three touchdowns. LeGarrette Blount led the Eagles’ ground attack with 14 carries for 90 yards and a touchdown, followed by Jay Ajayi who carried the ball nine times for 57 yards. Rookie running back Corey Clement caught four passes for 100 total yards and a touchdown. Rookie kicker Jake Elliot made all three field goals he attempted but missed one extra point try.

Brady went 28/48 for 505 yards and three touchdowns. James White led the Patriots in rushing with seven carries for 45 yards and a touchdown. Dion Lewis followed close behind with nine carries for 39 yards. Danny Amendola caught eight passes for 152 yards, Chris Hogan caught six passes for 128 yards, and Rob Gronkowski caught nine passes for 116 yards and two touchdowns.