The Masterpiece That Is Cowboy Carter

The highly anticipated album, “Cowboy Carter,” was released on March 29, and Beyoncé fans were fed with the 27-song country record. This is one of her longest albums that features many talented artists, including a cover of Dolly Parton’s iconic hit, “Jolene.” If anyone was doubting her ability to step into genres that are outside her brand, she proved them wrong with “Cowboy Carter.” 

Many fans, including myself, were expecting the rest of the album–apart from her two previously released singles–to have the same country melody and vibe. The album incorporated genres such as pop, R&B, and hip hop in addition to country. Each song was different from the next, and because of the variety, there is a song on there for everyone to enjoy. This plethora of songs showcases the range and versatility of Beyoncé’s creative mind. 

Starting with “AMERIICAN REQUIEM,” a slow but powerful tune that transforms into a fun beat that starts the album off with a bang. With songs like “Jolene,” “16 Carriages,” “Texas Hold ‘Em,” and “II Most Wanted,” they adhere to the country persona that fans anticipated the album would be soaked with. Other songs like “Spaghetii,” “Ya Ya,” Sweet Honey Buckiin’, and “Bodyguard,” all have elements shining through that seem like they would be from her previous album “Renaissance,” which takes fans back to the experience that was the Renaissance World Tour. 

In Beyoncé’s song, “Spaghettii,” it opens with words from Linda Martell, a successful Black country music artist, and a pioneer in the genre. She talks about how genres are a foolish concept, and how they force artists to feel boxed in, which can result in them feeling they can only make art that corresponds to the box society puts them in. These words from Martell are a clapback at those who were against Beyoncé going into country, saying the music she would release would be subpar. As a hardworking artist, she produced a masterpiece that is breaking records and is on repeat for many music lovers. 

The vocals, features, and sampling used in this record-breaking album prove that it is one of the best to be released this year. Its layers and elements truly come to fruition when its lyrics are broken down and listeners understand her message. “Cowboy Carter” has brought many people together and uplifted them, and I can’t wait to see what accolades it will win in the upcoming years.

View Comments (1)