Club Spotlight: The Infernos

The Infernos singing during a recent concert. The Infernos will compete in the quarterfinals of the Championship of Collegiate a Cappella on Feb. 9

After a grueling three-month audition process, the hard work of one of Dickinson’s a cappella groups is paying off.

The Infernos, a co-ed a cappella group, are competing in the quarterfinals of the International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella (ICCA) on Saturday, Feb. 9. They are one of 11 groups facing off in this year’s regional competition at Penn State.

“This year is the most competitive year yet for the ICCA,” admitted Matt Halvorson ’13, president of the Infernos.  The group submitted an audition tape before Nov. 3, 2012, and has been working diligently since then.

“It is a big deal for all the small schools. The ICCA doesn’t usually pull from them,” said Laura Silverman ’16. The larger universities have more than one group attending the competition, but that does not intimidate the Infernos.

The Infernos will perform three songs at the competition: “Use Somebody” by Kings of Leon, “Somebody that I Used to Know” by Gotye and their own variation of “Kiss Him Goodbye” by Steam. The group chose these songs to tell a story which would capture the emotions of the audience. To do this, every beat and every vowel must be on the mark.

“Everyone is the background fill. Blend is what makes it a song,” said Chris Theodorou ’13. Despite having a range of interests and musical backgrounds in a cappella, the Infernos blend on more than just a musical level.

“A huge part of blending is about the family dynamic, and being able to bounce off of each other,” said Kendall Busby ’16.

“We are a team, just like in football or basketball. We are, essentially, musical athletes,” said Jamie Leidwinger ’15, assistant music director.  The Infernos rehearse together for five and a half hours a week, as well as on their own time.

“It’s not an easy task to get 16 people to produce one sound,” said Ryan Buck ’13, the music director for the group. “Each person is accountable for [his or her] part. We’re only strongest as our weakest link and that person is pretty damn good.” The excitement of the ICCA only boosts their confidence and motivates them to strive for perfection. Every member believes that the Infernos belong in the competition. They look forward to representing Dickinson in the quarterfinals.