Fraternities Conclude 2013 Spring Rush

The start of the Spring 2013 semester began this year’s rush season for the male students of Dickinson College.

“Rushing” is the preliminary stage of joining a fraternity. Male students visit fraternity houses and meet with fraternity members to decide if they would like to join a specific fraternity.

The weeklong rush process began with an information session, explained Noah Segal ’13, Vice-President of the Interfraternity Council (IFC).  Interested students were split into groups to attend a different fraternity house for the first three nights.  On Thursday, the students visited the fraternity they wanted to pledge.  Afterwards, the fraternity brothers decided on their new members.  On Friday, the pledges picked up their bids.

Not all first years who visited the fraternities this year enjoyed the process.

“Rushing needs to be diversified,” said an anonymous first year that participated in the rushing process. Despite receiving a bid to a fraternity, he declined the offer. “They need to do more in the time we have with each fraternity. [Delta Sigma Phi] got it right with a dodgeball game. But most rushing doesn’t give you a good picture of what the fraternity or its brothers are about.”

However, some students were happy with their rush experience.

“I found it to be a really cool experience,” said Sam Weinstein ’16, who chose to pledge Kappa Epsilon. “It was great to meet everybody and find people with my similar interests and goals.”

Segal said that 94 students rushed this year, but not all were eligible.  He explained that in order to pledge a fraternity, students must have at least a 2.25 GPA.

Sixty-eight students ended up pledging one of three fraternities: Delta Sigma Phi, Kappa Sigma or Phi Delta Theta.  Kappa Alpha Psi did not formally rush this year.

“All fraternities had about the same number of pledges,” said Segal.  “We rushed about the same amount [of students] last year, but it used to be hundreds of kids.”

Segal believes lack of advertising and lack of fraternities on campus caused the low numbers.

When asked if Greek life was in decline, Segal responded, “yes and no.  Yes, because there are only three fraternities, but I am very optimistic for the future.  Lots of good [students] rushed this year and Phi Kappa Psi has been invited back.”

Segal says he has enjoyed his fraternity experience.

“A lot of people say fraternities are just about drinking, but I can honestly say that when I joined, I became a better man than before,” said Segal. “I’m more organized and involved.  Fraternities have a unique nature where they can develop men into better men.”

According to Segal, a tentative additional fraternity rush is planned for autumn only for sophomores, juniors and seniors.

For more information on Dickinson College Greek Life and the Interfraternity council, visit the Interfraternity Council website at http://www2.dickinson.edu/storg/ifc/