Club Spotlight: WDCV Sports

WDCV Sports members posing for the camera.

WDCV Sports gives its members the unique experience of calling, or giving play-by-plays of, live sports games. Brian Schwartz ’13, the student director of the program, pursued his love of sports and his interest in communications by engaging with WDCV Sports.

“The first step of working at WDCV Sports is learning to work the studio,” he explained.

After the first club meeting, the new members come to the studio, located in the basement of the HUB, and are shown how to work with the equipment.

WDCV Sports members do play-by-plays for many sports games at Dickinson, such as football, basketball, baseball and lacrosse. They are always trying to expand and cover other sports, such as soccer, but are unable due to lack of personnel. Members are on the road a lot and can be found in the press box at home games.

“There is a lot more pressure in the press box as opposed to the studio,” said Schwartz.

The broadcasts can go as long as three hours and are constantly on air. Broadcasters prepare by reading previous records of Dickinson games and by expanding their knowledge of sports. The broadcasters also conduct interviews with coaches and players.

“I love to really work with these teams, to work with the coaches [and] to build relationships with these people,” said Schwartz.

Sports games do not only form personal relationships between coaches and players, but the relationships formed between WDCV Sports broadcasters are also very strong. They spend a lot of time together in the press box, in the studio and on the road.

“You make a lot of great friendships,” said Schwartz. “You keep those friendships throughout your life.”

The club is a tight-knit community that also functions as a great mentorship program.

“[The members] are very open to talking about anything…it’s a great experience that you can’t get anywhere else,” added Schwartz.

To learn more about WDCV Sports, contact Schwartz at [email protected] or WDCV Sports Broadcasting Advisor Keith Fischer ’02 at [email protected].