Club Spotlight: Hillel Jewish Life Club

Students attend a Bagel Brunch at the Asbell Center, hosted by Dickinson’s Jewish life club, Hillel.

Hillel is Dickinson’s student-led Jewish life club. It is open to all denominations of Judaism, as well as any other religious or non-religious students.

Every Friday night at the Asbell Jewish Life Center, the Hillel club hosts a Shabbat service and dinner. This past Friday, Sept. 7, the service focused on the end of Rosh Hashanah, a holiday celebrating the Jewish New Year.

Shabbat begins with the lighting of candles and the recitation of a blessing. The singing of songs from the prayer book follows, as well as a brief sermon. Dinner is served after the service. Though it is an instrumental aspect of the club, Shabbat is not the only activity that Hillel hosts.

Shayna Solomon ’16, president of Hillel, said that there is no such thing as a “typical Hillel event.” According to Solomon, Hillel is “split up into different committees, which all organize entirely different things.”

The Shabbat committee is responsible for the Friday night services and dinners an the Holiday committee organizes services and other activities during the Jewish holidays.

Although Hillel events are varied, “building a community of Jewish and Jewish-interested students who really want to spend time together” is the most important part of the club, said Solomon.

Many Dickinson students are unaware of the welcoming nature of Hillel. They encourage everyone to come to their meetings and events, regardless of their religious affiliation.

“As someone who is not Jewish, I felt very invited by the Hillel community.” said Nalani Saito ’17, who recently attended a Shabbat service.

The group also occasionally collaborates with Carlisle’s local congregation, Beth Tikvah, to co-sponsor events, including High Holiday services, Passover Seders and other religious events.

Next week the club will celebrate Yom Kippur, one of the most important holidays in the Jewish Year. There will be services held on both Friday and Saturday, as well as Pre-Fast and Break the Fast meals.