DNu Philantropy Event Seeks Best of Dickinson

Jules Struck ’19, Associate Managing Editor

Delta Nu is hosting a “Best of Dickinson” talent show at 7:30 p.m. on April 5 in ATS to benefit Safe Harbour, a non-profit organization that provides housing services for the homeless of Cumberland County. According to Jessica Edenfield ’16, member of Delta Nu, 80 tickets were sold as of print time.

According to Safe Harbour’s website, the organization is the “not-for-profit organization that provides a continuum of housing services for the homeless of Cumberland County.”

The organization operates an emergency shelter for families and single females who are “in desperate need of a secure place to live and an environment to begin getting their lives under control,” according to the website.

The bridge housing program helps those in need of longer-term assistance “acquire the skills necessary for independent living and a productive life style.”

The organization amasses financial support from “individuals, organizations, churches, fees paid by residents, commercial rents, investments, foundations, federal and state grants, as well as the United Way.”

The talent show will be held in three rounds. First, participants will introduce themselves and if they are representing an organization. Second, the participants will present their talents and finally they will enter a trivia round about Delta Nu’s philanthropy with Safe Harbor.

In the past, said Samuel Richards ’16, the event has raised up to $1,000. The MCs for this year will be Richards, Emily Fuss ’16 and Amy Walsh ’16.

Clara Childers ’18, a member of Delta Nu, said the group wanted to hold this event to “raise awareness of the homeless population in Carlisle and to teach students how they can help to improve the situation.”

Richards, who has participated in the competition in the past, said “Safe Harbour is an amazing organization that does wonders for the Carlisle community which is why I have been heavily involved with it since freshman year.”

Those who wish to participate in the talent show may sign up in the lower or upper floor of the HUB at Delta Nu’s sign-up table. They will be stationed there every day until April 5.

For more information on Safe Harbour, visit www.safeharbour.org.