Men’s Lacrosse Splits Season’s Final Two Games

Pat Irwin ‘17, Sports Writer

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

The Dickinson men’s lacrosse team completed their final week of play by defeating Muhlenberg handily by a score of 16-4 before losing on a pair of late goals to Franklin and Marshall 12-10. The Red Devils finish the year 8-7 and fifth in the Centennial Conference which is one spot out from qualifying for playoffs.

On Wednesday in the final home game of the season, this year’s chapter of Dickinson lacrosse left Biddle field on a high note by manhandling Muhlenberg College 16-4. The Mules struck first, but the Red Devils would answer with four straight first quarter goals. Dylan Maher ’18 and Chris Menard ‘15 each found the net along with Rob Kendall  ‘15 who added two goals off assists from Mike Cherry ’17 and John Lockwood ‘19. In the second, Chase Phillips ’17 and Tyler Llewellyn ’17 each scored while Muhlenberg added two goals of their own. Menard closed the half with a goal off a Kendall assist to make the Devils’ lead 7-3. The Red Devils put the game away in the third by scoring five straight goals. Brodie Phillips ‘19 began the scoring onslaught while Menard and Tyler Strods ‘18 added two more. Connor Haab ‘16 added the fourth before Bobby Hartwick ’19 finished off the run by winning the faceoff and taking it the length of the field himself.  In the victory, Menard and Kendall finished with three goals apiece while Lockwood had three assists. Ryan Campbell ’18 won 18 of 20 faceoffs and picked up seven ground balls.

On Saturday, the season finale was played in Lancaster against rival F&M. Dickinson continued to build on Wednesday’s momentum as Alex Hosker ‘19 fed Kendall for the score just 11 seconds into the contest.   Lockwood added another as the Red Devils took a 2-0 lead. The Diplomats fired right back by rattling off three consecutive goals to take a 3-2 lead into the second quarter. Maher and Brad Zulick ’19 each scored to give Dickinson the first two goals of the second as well. F&M responded again by adding two goals to take a 5-4 lead into the break. The halftime deficit could have been greater if it were not for the strong play in goal from Nick Baxter ‘16 who had seven first half saves. Kendall scored one minute into the half and Strods added another goal as Dickinson played to a 7-6 deficit in the third. The Dips stretched this lead to 10-7 before the Devils rallied to tie it at 10 all. Campbell began the rally by taking the faceoff straight to the net while Menard and Maher each added another. However, F&M scored with 58 and 32 seconds remaining to secure a 12-10 victory.

The Red Devils had a much better season in 2016, finishing 8-7 overall, besting  last year’s mark of 7-9. They also  shattered last season’s   goal tally, netting 167 through the season. They look to improve even more next season and to contend for the Centennial Conference Championship.