Women’s Lacrosse Suffers Two Tough Losses

Connor Moore ‘18, Sports Editor

The Dickinson women’s lacrosse team suffered two tough losses last week, battling the No. 3-ranked Bullets of Gettysburg to a 9-8 loss on Wednesday afternoon, April 19, and falling to Muhlenberg, 15-7, on Saturday, April 22.

The Bullets got off to a fast start as Katie Willis tallied a goal and an assist to put Gettysburg up 3-0 with just under 18 minutes remaining in the first half.

Maddie Parker ’19 put Dickinson on the board with a free position goal and goaltender Tara Cuddihy ’17 shot a lead pass to Sam Marmo ’19 as Marmo scored to pull the Red Devils within one with 8:33 remaining until halftime.

Talene Bush ’17 capitalized on a free position early on in the second half to tie the game at 3.

Gettysburg managed to tack on a few more goals but Dickinson kept up as Anne Dunster ’19 fed classmate Eleanor Kaestner ’19 for a pair of goals and finished an assist from Marmo to keep the score tight in the second half.

The Red Devils trailed, 7-6, with just over 20 minutes to play in regulation. Dunster answered a goal from Katie Landry and scored off another pass from Marmo to make the score 9-8 with 1:48 on the clock but the Bullets were able to hold on and escape for the win

Dunster led the Red Devil offense with three goals and two assists while Kaestner scored twice and Marmo scored a goal to go along with two assists on the day.

The Bullets were able to hold on, escaping for the win to draw even with Dickinson in the Centennial Conference rankings. Gettysburg improves to 12-2 overall and 5-1 in the CC.

The Mules jumped out to an early lead, scoring the first four goals of the game. The Red Devils regrouped and went on a 5-0 run to pull in front late in the first half.

Maddy Siebold ’17 scored back-to-back free position goals before Kaestner added one as well, cutting the deficit to 4-3 with just under 16 minutes to play in the half.

Parker and Dunster both scored unassisted goals to put Dickinson on top, 5-4, with 4:22 left in the first half.

Muhlenberg pulled even and then scored on a fast break off the next draw to regain the lead going into halftime, 6-5.

The hosts had a strong start to the second half, scoring five straight goals to lead, 11-5, with 22:11 remaining. Kaestner broke up the run as she scoring off an assist from Siebold.

Sophie Waine ’17 tacked on a goal for the Red Devils but Muhlenberg added four to seal the game and move into a first-place tie with Gettysburg and Franklin & Marshall in the Centennial Conference standings.

The Red Devils slip to 5-2 in the CC and 8-6 overall, holding the No. 4 spot in the standings. For their next game, they will play against Franklin & Marshall on Saturday,  April 30.