Baseball Tops Juniata, Falls to Hood

Graham Klimley ‘19, Sports Writer

On Sunday March 4, the Red Devils (1-2) beat Juniata (0-5) 12-10, on some big hits. On Tuesday March 6, the Red Devils lot their home opener vs. Hood College (8-0), 15-2.

Joey Volpe ’21, started the day off by hitting a two-run double in the second inning. As the momentum was in favor for the Red Devils, sophomore David Farnham hit a grand slam in the third inning.

Max Brown ’19 scored in the third inning and also had a pair of RBI’s in the third and fifth inning.

The Eagles of Juniata would not be intimidated by the big bats of the Red Devils as they traded runs in the fifth inning. Juniata was able to keep their composure and tie the game 9-9 in the sixth inning.

The bats for the Red Devils were still on fire and Jonathan Chudacoff ’18, drove in Brown with a double in the top of the seventh. Ben Carter ’19 hit a two-out single in the seventh and Robbie Thompson ’18 came into score.

Juniata scored a run in the bottom of the ninth but Reid Collins ’18 was able to close out the game and the Red Devils came out notorious.

Brown had a very successful day at the plate going 3-5, with two doubles, two runs scored, and two RBI’s. Alex Jacobson ’19 scored a pair of runs and Pat Davis ’20 was 1 for 1 with three walks and two runs scored.

Billy O’Neill ’18 and Ethan Collins ’20 had a strong day combining for 12 strikeouts in five innings. Sophomore Tommy Koide pitched well in relief striking out five and allowing one hit in two innings of work.

It was a tough day in the office for the Red Devils on Tuesday, as they lost 15-2 vs. Hood College. The mustangs had a few big innings opening up the score of the game.

The Red Devils put the first runs on the board as Chudacoff hit a screaming line drive single into the outfield and Davis came around to score.

In the sixth inning, first-year Brendan Pell singled and moved to third following a double off of the bat of Brown.

The Mustangs were a tough team to face. They tacked on four runs in the seventh, three of the, coming across unearned.

The game was cancelled after the eighth inning due to darkness with the final being 15-2.

The Red Devils will be travelling to California for spring break and look forward to playing some baseball in warmer weather.