Patriots Set to Face Rams in Super Bowl LIII

Jake Giotto ‘22, Sports Writer

It is that time of year again. Feb. 3, 2019 marks one of the most highly anticipated sporting events every year, Super Bowl Sunday.   

This year’s matchup is the youthful versus the experienced. The Los Angeles Rams will take on, to no surprise, the New England Patriots in Super Bowl 53.   

New England has dominated the AFC for almost the entirety of the last two decades. Since 2001 the tandem of Tom Brady and Bill Belichick have made it to the Conference Championship 15 times, winning 9 of those games in order to advance to the Super Bowl. Brady and Belichick have created one of the most decorated dynasties in all of sports. They look to capture the franchise’s sixth Super Bowl, which would tie them with the Pittsburgh Steelers for most all time. However, there are two young and rising stars on the other side of the field trying to cement their names in to history.  

The Los Angeles Rams are led by their third-year quarterback, Jared Goff out of California University, and the second-year head coach Sean McVay.   

Goff will be playing in his first Super Bowl, while the man on the other side will be playing in his tenth, although the future looks bright for the young quarterback. Goff has been selected to two pro bowls and has led his team to a 24-7 record over his first 3 years.  

Sean Mcvay has transformed the Rams into one of the most disciplined and talented teams in the NFL since becoming their head coach in January of 2017. Coaches around the league have been praising Mcvay’s brilliant schemes and tactics that have made his team so difficult to compete against. The Ram’s defense is their calling card, led by Aaron Donald, arguably the best defensive player over the span of the past few years.   

Donald will be tasked with slowing down arguably the greatest quarterback of all time, Tom Brady.   

Will the Patriots solidify themselves as the greatest dynasty in sports history, or will the up-and-coming tandem of McVay and Goff write their names into history? Viewers across the country will tune in to see what is to come.