Philadelphia Phillies Sign Free Agent Bryce Harper

Jake Giotto ‘22, Sports Writer 

On Saturday, March 2, The Philadelphia Phillies announced their record signing of free-agent Bryce Harper.  

The two sides agreed on a contract that will keep Harper in Philly for the next 13 years earning him around $330 million.   

Over his seven-year career with the Washington Nationals, Harper has been an all-star six times; racking in 184 home-runs and 521 runs batted in (RBI).  

Harper has been in the media for the last couple of years due to visible frustration with the Nationals success. Harper’s former team had struggled to make their presence felt in the play-offs while Harper was atop their line-up; catalyzing the decision for the two sides to part ways.  

Analysts had speculated that a move was imminent following the 2018 season when the all-stars contract was concluded.  After signing a one-year extension with the Nationals last year, Harper decided that this off-season he would take his talents to another city. 

The hunger for a World Series Title and a long-term contract were atop of Harpers priorities while testing his free-agent options. Harper was searching for a team whose priority was to win; rather than who was willing to offer the most money. He believes he has found that in the Phillies organization. 

He stated in an interview with USA Today that his contract is really a “marriage” to Phillies than anything else. Harpers contract includes a no-trade clause insinuating that he plans to finish his career in Philly, capturing as many titles as possible.  

Harper and the Phillies are determined that this deal will lead the team to return to the World Series for the first time since 2011.  

A city that is used to having a winning ball-club has patiently endured six consecutives below five hundred seasons, causing disinterest in the club from supporters.  

However, since the arrival of Harper, the club sold 220,000 season tickets within 48 hours of signing the right-fielder.  

The Phillies intend their record signing of Bryce Harper to propel them back into the race for a World Series Title.  We will continue to watch this story progress as Baseball season is underway and gaining momentum.