Here We Go: 2023 Pittsburgh Steelers Preview

Like it or not, the 2023 Pittsburgh Steelers are here to make an impression on the NFL this season. After continuing Head Coach Mike Tomlin’s record of never having a losing season with last year’s 9-8 season, the Kenny Pickett-led Steelers are poised to improve on the progress made in the post-Roethlisberger era. While there are still lingering issues from some of last season’s lowlights, the improvements made on both sides of the ball are exciting for Steelers fans.

The beginning of 2022 was undeniably tough for Pittsburgh. After the retirement of future hall-of-fame quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, the Steelers signed Mitch Trubisky and drafted Kenny Pickett with the 20th overall pick to replace him, having intentions of starting Trubisky until Pickett was ready to take the field. While the season opened with a surprising upset against the Cincinnati Bengals, the injury of star defensive player T. J. Watt coincided with a string of losses that led them to a 2-6 record before their bye week.  

However, the Steelers emerged from their week off with a hunger for victory. Kenny Pickett, who had been starting since week three, showed signs of improvement the more he played, and T.J. Watt’s recovery provided the defense with the extra boost it needed. For reference, the Steelers finished 9-8 in the 2022 NFL Season, but they went 8-2 when Watt was in the lineup. Watt is an indispensable part of the team, and he should be on the radar to win the award again in 2023.  

Some concerns have carried over from last season. Matt Canada, Pittsburgh’s Offensive Coordinator for the past two seasons, is back for 2023 to the dismay of many Steelers fans. The team has also lost some key players since 2022, such as cornerback Cameron Sutton, safety Terrell Edmunds, and linebacker Devin Bush.

Thankfully, the Steelers had one of the most successful offseasons of any NFL team, particularly in the draft. After trading up to select Offensive Tackle Broderick Jones, the Steelers were delighted to have cornerback Joey Porter Jr., the son of a former All-Pro Steelers player, fall to them at the 32nd overall pick.  They practically stole this pick from the Chicago Bears, as they traded for wide receiver Chase Claypool, who has had an incredibly disappointing career after his rookie season.  

In rounds two and three, they picked up nose tackle Keeanu Benton and tight end Darnell Washington respectively, with both falling further than anticipated to the Steeler’s delight.  As far as new signings are concerned, offensive guard Isaac Seumalo, cornerback Patrick Peterson and wide receiver Allen Robinson are among the various key additions to the roster. This success in addressing key needs and adding great players has led to Steelers fans nicknaming General Manager Omar Khan the “Khan Artist.”

Yinzers have a lot to look forward to this year, as the Steelers have only gotten better since 2022.  I have my eyes on two players to step up big-time this year: wide receiver George Pickens and running back Jaylen Warren. Pickens had a stellar rookie season, including 19 contested catches, ranking only behind Justin Jefferson and D. K. Metcalf. Jaylen Warren had some good moments last year and has been making buzz in training camp, so expect him to have a higher share of rushing attempts this season.

It’s difficult to imagine this roster doing worse than last year, barring any health issues or unforeseeable declines for important players, and at the very least they should be able to scrape by with a 9-8 record again to preserve Tomlin’s streak. If Kenny Pickett makes a significant step up, Matt Canada improves on his play calling and the defense remains elite, the Steelers could improve to 11-6 or 12-5 in 2023.