Red October: Phillies make the playoffs

“The Phillies walk them off and walk into the postseason!” said Philadelphia Phillies broadcaster Tom McCarthey when the Phillies won a critual game Tuesday September 26 against the Pittsburgh Pirates.

In an unprecedented season for the Philadelphia Phillies, the Phils secured the number one spot in the National League (NL) Wild Card round in their game against the Pirates. From Bryce Harper coming back from Tommy John surgery, to a standing ovation for Trea Turner, to Micheal Lorenzen making history pitching a no-hitter against the Washington Nationals, this season has had Philly fans on edge. 

The Phillies are going to the postseason for the second year in a row. There is no doubt this team is special. Notably, the Phils, with a record of 89-70, have won more regular season games than they had last year. 

The game on the 26th was off to a slow start until the bottom of the 6th inning, when the Phils scored two runs – thanks to a homer by Brandon Marsh and a sacrifice fly from Harper bringing Kyle Schwarber home – giving them the lead. The Pirates were quick to make a comeback with one run each at the top of the next two innings, resulting in a 10th inning where the Phillies took the win and clinched a spot in the playoffs. 

Johan Rojas was the star of the game with a winning hit in the 10th inning, causing the rest of the team to storm the field in celebration. Although the Pirates’ batting was not the strongest, player of the game Aaron Nola’s pitching was locked in. Manager Rob Thomson reassured his confidence in the pitcher in a pre-game interview, and Nola proved him right – allowing one run on four hits and no walks over 6.2 innings. Further, the team comradery is at an all time high, thanks to Thomson’s guidance. 

This is just the beginning. Phillies fans are as positive as they were last year when the Phillies made it to the World Series for the first time since 2009. With the team looking confident and in a good position, Philly is ready for the playoffs and a Red October.