Let’s Get Reel: Now is Good

Image Courtesy of Pinterest

Image Courtesy of Pinterest

Stephanie Czmar ’19, Staff Writer

Now is Good is about a teenage girl named Tessa, played by Dakota Fanning, who decides to stop receiving chemotherapy after battling with acute lymphoblastic leukemia for several years. Needless to say, from the start of the film the audience knows Tessa is dying, but that’s not really what the film is about; it’s about how she chooses to live. Tessa begins by making a list of everything she wants to do: have sex, do drugs, break the law, etc. She and her best friend, Zoey, played by Kaya Scodelario, then go on a mission to accomplish the list.

Shortly after ending her chemotherapy, Tessa meets Adam, played by Jeremy Irvine. The more they spend time together, the more complicated dying becomes for Tessa. She then makes a new list. She now dreams of their three children that they could have and of them growing old together.

Adam is hesitant to pursue the relationship at first, knowing that Tessa is dying. Adam had recently lost his dad and was not sure if he would be ready to lose someone close to him again. This causes some stress on their relationship. As they become closer, however, and Tessa’s health worsens, it becomes even more challenging for Adam to make plans for his future without Tessa.

I personally like this film because it doesn’t explore only Tessa and Adam’s relationship. Tessa has a dad, played by Paddy Considine who learns to let go, a mom played by Olivia Williams, who learns to be present, and a little brother, played by Edgar Canham, who discovers he wants to be haunted by his sister, and a best friend who has a tough decision to make while Tessa is losing her life.  .

While the film is presented as a romance, Now is Good is really about facing your fears, growing as a person, and simply living. As Tessa tries to experience everything a rebellious teen can before she dies, she realizes that while these daring endeavors add color to her life, they are not what are actually important. She realizes that living a satisfying life has more to do with the people you fill it with than what happens during it. Tessa stresses that life is just a series of moments and what you do with them counts.

This is the perfect film to watch if you are looking for a good cry. I cried for the last 20 minutes of the movie. It’s a good movie to watch with friends or by yourself.