Springfest Features the Mowgli’s, Inflatables and French Fries

Jacob Costello ’19 enjoys one of the inflatables that was featured at Springfest.

Photo Courtesy of MOB Facebook page

Photo Courtesy of MOB Facebook page

Stephanie Czmar ’19, Staff Writer

This past weekend, MOB hosted their annual Springfest event, a mélange of free food, inflatables and music for Dickinsonians to enjoy.

This year, Springfest included inflatables on Morgan Field, Bricker’s French Fry Truck, cotton candy, the Peddler on Britton Plaza, Rita’s, facepainting and a caricature artist in the Social Hall Lobby. WDCW, DJed music in the Social Hall and the band the Mowgli’s performed at 1:00 p.m. in the Social Hall. Springfest shirts and Dickinson Four Frisbees were also distributed in the Social Hall at 1:15 p.m.

Matt Wenz ’17, MOB’s Executive Chair, was unsure as to how long Springfest had been a tradition, but he says it seems at the very least “ to get a little bigger every year we put it on.”

Traditionally, Springfest is held outside on Morgan Field, says Wenz, though due to burgeoning inclement weather MOB moved the Mowgli’s’ concert inside.

“With as much sound equipment as we were using for The Mowgli’s, there was no way we could risk being outside,” explained Wenz. “[MOB] moved everything inside that we could, and left anything outside that we couldn’t move in.”

Wenz said that “fortunately, it didn’t rain so [the unmovable events] could stay outside” and that “having the concert in the social hall worked well, since the music could be heard throughout the HUB and on Britton Plaza.”

According to their official website, the Mowgli’s are “known for their laid-back mix of sunny West Coast pop, garage rock and 60’s Laurel Canyon folk sound.” They also “frequently called ‘the quintessential California band,’” and have an “uplifting, indie-rock and universal message of positivity and love.”

Students also showcased their clubs at tables, one of which was occupied by Kappa Delta Pi (KDP), an education honor society. The purpose of the table, according to Nathalie Ingersoll ’19, a member of the organization, “was to represent [the] organization in a fun way that was reminiscent of being in school as a kid.” Their table had hula-hoops, bubbles and free snacks.

Ingersoll thought that despite the changes made due to weather, “the event turned out great!”

“It was really fun to sit at the table [for KDP] while listening to the Mowgli’s and blowing bubbles that all the kids wanted to pop,” said Ingersoll. “Springfest was wonderfully run and I was happy to be involved!”

Tierney McCue ’20 shared Ingersoll’s enjoyment of the event, saying “MOB chose a really great band to perform because people got really into their music,” and “the food on campus was delicious (especially the fries).”

McCue also liked the inflatables on Morgan Field, saying they “were so exciting to try.”

Janelle Winchester ’20 also enjoyed Springfest: it was “an awesome stress reliever with finals approaching.”