Listen Up: “YOU MADE MY DAWN”

Back to Article
Back to Article

Listen Up: “YOU MADE MY DAWN”

Simran Dali ’22, Life & Style Columnist

In the midst of January comebacks in the K-pop industry, Seventeen, nicknamed “self-producing idols” in the community, released their sixth EP “YOU MADE MY DAWN” on January 21. Their success has been on an upward trend recently and this extended play does well to showcase Seventeen’s uniqueness in producing their own music, and their division into vocal, hip-hop and performance units.

The first of the six tracks, Home, is a throwback to their EDM era, with a slightly mellow feel to the song. Woozi, the producer in Seventeen, portrays a different style of contemporary pop music with this track as it slows down during the chorus and the lyrics portray the same feel, alluding to nostalgic emotion of finding home within a person. 

Hug, on the other hand, is a ballad that highlights the distinctive style of the vocal unit, with Seungkwan, Joshua, DK, Woozi and Jeonghan. It’s a light song that makes you feel warm on the inside. 

The hip-hop unit worked on the track Chilli and as random as it sounds, it fits perfectly with the unit’s image and style. With a hint of R&B, the song is great to listen to if rap music is your favorite. 

Getting Closer was released early in December and the performance unit have done a wonderful job with a darker, more intense concept for the whole group. It was a refreshing new look for Seventeen since most of their previous comebacks have been bright, bubbly or retro. It’s a fast-paced R&B song, a contrast to the rest of the songs on the EP. 

Personally, I liked Good to Me because it’s most representative of what I like in Seventeen the most: electronic dance music, meaningful lyrics, and vocals that are pleasing to hear. 

“YOU MADE MY DAWN” is an interesting follow up to “YOU MADE MY DAY,” which was released last year, in how it sets up as more of a prequel to the latter. As K-pop idols that create their own music, dance, and raps, Seventeen has done well with this EP to highlight their strengths and put out a new style of songs in comparison to their last few releases.