Laufey’s new album, “Bewitched,” makes a bold splash in modern jazz

Icelandic jazz-pop sensation Laufey released her second album, “Bewitched,” on Sept. 8. The album highlights romantic journeys and the pain of emotionally maturing. Bewitched is certainly for all the hopeless romantics and jazz enthusiasts.

Beginning with “Dreamer,” Laufey pilots the album with a self-love themed ballad. She explores concepts of freedom and control in the context of relationships. 

In the next few songs, Laufey backtracks and discusses heartbreak, effectively providing a backstory to “Dreamer.” She uses the songs “Second Best” and “Haunted” to provide context for her retaliation of boys. In “Haunted,” she serenades the listener with a smooth classic jazz tune and jarring lyrics that describe a daunting love. 

Later, the album abruptly shifts to a story of falling in love with the ‘wrong’ guy. Laufey explores this image in the next few songs: “Must Be Love,” “While You Were Sleeping,” “Lovesick” and “California and Me.” In these songs, listeners uncover more of Laufey’s raw and ever-maturing vocals as she explores the theme of delusion. 

Next, an interlude fills the audience’s headphones with the even, mellow and rich piano instrumentals of select songs from the album. 

In the next quartet, Laufey addresses her lover directly through a grueling interrogation. With desperation in her throat, Laufey examines her relationship through an inquisitive lens. The singer experiments with integrating pop into the album withFrom The Start.” She also ties in the warm jazz standard, “Misty,” to emphasize exactly how hard she’s fallen in love.

Laufey then sings a sentimental hymn to her 13 year old self. She addresses her past self by apologizing for her bullies, reassuring her and affirming that “she’s beautiful.” The anthem shares an all-too relatable perspective and offers a break from the intense, relationship-focused, theme of the album.

The title track, “Bewitched,” is finally revealed as an outro to the album. The song explores love in a positive light, which gives a sense of relief to the listener. Overall, this jazz-pop fusion album serves as a perfect chill album for studying. The album also has the potential to be a fan favorite, as Laufey delivers hit after hit.