Queen is a kind of magic: Philly concert review

This past weekend, I saw Queen + Adam Lambert in Philadelphia for the second time and I was just as awestruck as the first concert I saw in 2019. Both shows — from 2019 and this show on Oct. 18 at the Wells Fargo Center — had a similar set list, playing their hit songs from “Don’t Stop Me Now” to “Bohemian Rhapsody,” but this time there were some new variations on old songs that made the show different and engaging. For example, slowing down “Stone Cold Crazy” or breaking up “Radio Ga Ga,” as well as some exciting technical effects such as fireworks shooting out from Brian May’s guitar to a light and fog on stage explosion at the climax of “Bohemian Rhapsody,” all of which got the crowd on their feet cheering, singing and dancing. 

Both years the crowds were filled with people of all generations. This year, I attended with my mom and grandma dressed in matching shirts that said “I’m having a good time…I don’t wanna stop at all, yeah!” (A lyric from “Don’t Stop Me Now,” and a true, shared sentiment). The family seated behind us included two grandparents, a dad and a granddaughter as well. Queen’s music has been passed down through generations, proving that their music can stand the test of time. 

As an inclusive space, outfits ranged from dressy (me in my knee high metallic go-go boots and mini skirt) to comfortable, including a lot of Phillies T-shirts and hats. In fact, May wore a Phillies shirt during “We Are The Champions,” and of course the Philly crowd went wild.

There were also many Freddie Mercury costumes, of course, showing the late lead singer’s lasting impact on all generations. Mercury’s legacy has not been lost, thankfully. Both his vocals and his projected image made an appearance multiple times – I cried (for the second time) during his duet in “Love of My Life” with May and my jaw dropped hearing his angelic vocals paired with the mesmerizing lights in the intro of “You Take My Breath Away.” 

Yes, Mercury was the frontman of Queen, but he was not its “leader,” as many presume. Queen was able to successfully continue without Mercury, but with the memory of him. From early on, each member has had a special part in the band. As mentioned, May has multiple guitar solos throughout the show. The same is true for drummer Roger Taylor. Both artists are in their 70s and can still rock! 

If you have a chance to see Queen + Adam Lambert, go! Even if you only know their hits it is worth it. Lambert does a fantastic job as lead vocalist. In no way does he try to be Mercury. Lambert is his own individual artist with an incredible stage performance and vocal range. Queen has always and still knows how to put on a magical show!