Student Opens Knitting Business

A new Dickinson enterprise emerged over Winter Break: a knitting business called Carley’s Knits.

The business is operated by Carley Zarzeka ’15, who has been knitting since first grade.

“It [starting the business]wasn’t my idea,” she said. “My mom was like, ‘you have all this [knitting] stuff, why don’t you sell it?’”

Zarzeka began by posting on Facebook and offering her creations, which were made from scrap yarn, to gauge interest. When she ran out of scrap yarn, she started to sell her knits for money.

“I’ve sold a few hats and larger chunky cowls,” she said.

Zarzeka has been using Facebook as her primary tool, but has recently made an account on Etsy, the online marketplace for handmade goods called.

“It [was] all on Facebook, because that’s the easiest way to get in contact with people, but eventually, I just want it to be the social media aspect of it,” she said. “I’ve brought all of my materials to school, so I plan to continue.”

To order from Zarzeka, visit her Facebook page, www.facebook.com/carleysknits,  or her shop on Etsy, www.etsy.com/shop/carleysknits.