Flash Mob Joins the One Billion Rising

Dance Theater Group performers during a spontaneous dance demonstration in the HUB.
Dance Theater Group performers during a
spontaneous dance demonstration in the HUB.

The Dance Theater Group (DTG) led Dickinsonians in a spontaneous dance in honor of victims of rape around the world.

The event, held on Thursday, Feb. 14, was part of the worldwide One Billion Rising event.  Similar flash mobs were held internationally and across America that Valentine’s Day.

Emily Hughes ’13, one of the members of DTG, was the main organizer of this event.

“I decided to organize this event because One Billion Rising is an event taking place all over the world and I thought that the students at Dickinson could join the rest of the world community,” she explained. “We wanted to use our movement to join One Billion Rising and to stop violence against women through dance and music.  We are dancing to support all of these women and for those whom we know and love who have been affected.”

Hughes considers flash mobs effective in promoting change and awareness.

“Dance is the doorway to social change, peace, and the end to violence,” she said. “With this event, we hope to encourage our fellow Dickinsonians to dance along with us, literally and figuratively, to end violence against women.”

Hughes recognized that many people on campus considered this issue important.

“There have been many thoughtful efforts to end assault at Dickinson, but this is still a problem at Dickinson and all over the world,” said Hughes. “Many of us dancing have had either personal experiences with violence and assault or know someone with these experiences.”

The event was sponsored by DTG, Feminist Collective, Spectrum and the Women’s Center, among others. Students met at 5 p.m. on Thursday at the Site to rehearse the dance and then performed it at 6 p.m. in the HUB.  Approximately 35 students came to watch and support the performers.

“This event is so important,” summarized Hughes. “Dancing can change the world and we can all be a part of that change.”