Big Brothers & Big Sister

At the beginning of the next semester, the non-profit organization Big Brothers Big Sisters hopes to reopen an office in Carlisle.

Big Brothers Big Sisters (BBBS) is a one-on-one mentoring service that brings together people all over the United States. The program matches children who face adversity, referred to as Littles, with adults, or Bigs, to create strong and enduring relationships that change their lives for the better.

“It is a no-fee service,” said Colin Day, the director of marketing and recruitment for BBBS for the Capital Region. “It is free for everyone involved: for the parents, the Littles and the Bigs.”

Due to a difficult financial situation, the program had to close its Carlisle office in 2008. Despite the closing, the program has still been serving the area.

“We decided to close the office so we didn’t lose matches,” explained Asheleigh Forsburg, special events director of BBBS of the Capital Region. “It was either keep the office and have to close matches or close the office and keep the same number of children.”

Thanks to an anonymous donor, the office will now reopen in August. An exact location has yet to be determined.

“Physical presence is always valuable,” said Day. “It makes it so much easier for people to just walk in.”

Dickinson College students are also involved in the BBBS program. About 20 students work for the Dickinson College community service program Big/Little, which is affiliated with BBBS. They spend a few hours a week with a student from Mooreland Elementary School.

“When you get to know the Littles, your little brother or sister, they really need and they really depend on you to come and they remember the littlest things you say,” noted Melissa Canu ’13, one of the co-coordinators of the Big/Little program.

If you would like to become involved with Big/Little, contact Canu at [email protected]. For more information on the program Big Brothers Big Sisters, visit www.bbbs.org. BBBS of the Capital Region is also looking forward to their biggest annual fundraising event, the Bowl for Kids Sake on Sunday, April 7 and Saturday, April 13. Information can be found at www.capbigs.org.