New Digital Caf Recipes

Hoping to spice up your cafeteria experience? “Dickinson’s Panini Press”, a recently created Facebook page, intends to help students to make the most out of the ingredients found in the cafeteria. The page is an initiative sponsored by Dickinson’s Pre Health Society, providing students with creative recipes using already ingredients prepared in the caf.

“I kept hearing my friends complaining about the caf but I never agreed with them, and that’s because I always go out of the box when making meals,” Elizabeth Gass ’15 explains. Gass is the Director of Promotions and Publications of Dickinson’s Pre Health Society and the most active member of Dickinson’s Panini Press. “So I thought I could share this.”

“The majority of the ideas come from Lizzie,” said Breanna Goldner ’14, Vice-President of the Pre-Health Society. “But all the Pre-Health officers have access to post, and we hope to encourage students to submit their own ideas now that we have our own email address, [email protected]. This will make Panini Press more of a community.”

According to Goldner, one of the main goals of the Pre-Health Society is to promote healthy food on campus. Sharing healthy recipes on the “Dickinson’s Panini Press” facebook page helps them achieving such a goal.

“The Director of Dining Services, Keith Martin, told us that hall surveys keep showing students want healthier options. We want to help people realize that there are many healthy recipes you can make with ingredients found in the dining hall,” said Goldner.

“The page allows students to find out they aren’t limited to meals from the entrée and grill areas,” said Gass.

Despite its name, “Dickinson’s Panini Press” does not only feature sandwich recipes, but also salads, desserts and breakfast options. “We are trying to start providing more gluten-free and vegan options, as well having Dickinson’s nutritionist post meal-making tips,” Goldner explains.

According to Gass, they are also working to create a Panini Press version of the napkin board in the cafeteria and plan to work with the college farm in the future.

More than 250 students have already liked “Dickinson’s Panini Press” on Facebook.

“I like the page because it inspires me to create my own little recipes,” said Ashton Fiucci ’15.

“Looking at how many different suggestions the page has to offer, it makes it seem like a reachable goal to be healthy eating in the caf,” Melissa Pesantes ’15 adds.

Both Gass and Goldner said that they are delighted with the students’ reception.

“From the instant success, we believe that students feel the Panini Press is needed on campus,” Gass pointed out.