Students Report Bugs in Dorms, Buildings

Drew Kaplan ’20, Associate Opinion Editor

Multiple students have reported finding an increased number of bugs in their residential and academic buildings since the start of the academic year.

Students reports have come from residential buildings such as Drayer, Adams, Morgan, Atwater and Buchannan Halls, the Romance Language House, East College and Kaufman Hall.

Ariel Levin-Antila ’21 of Adams Hall said has had several experiences with different kinds of bugs in her room. “There [are]…A lot of ladybugs. My roommate was trying to go to sleep and there’s a house centipede in her bed. She tried to kill it, but it escaped.” She also stated that house centipedes bite and they lay eggs to reproduce.

Jessica Oren ’21, of Drayer Hall echoed Levin-Antila’s comments about ladybugs:

“We have a ladybug problem. Our window doesn’t open. The other day, my roommate and I were hanging out, and all of a sudden there were cricket sounds coming from everywhere.” According to Oren, the noise has recently also become worse due to the acoustics of her room.

According to Eric Vorodi, director of grounds & landscaping, the school does not have a bug infestation.

“The campus has not encountered any bug infestations. However, from time to time, insect sightings in residential dwellings do occur. To date this year since mid-August we have responded to less than 20 work order requests related to insects in student dwelling. Common pests include ants, fruit flies, drain moths, millipedes, centipedes, spiders, bees, wasps, crickets, beetles, cockroaches.”

Rachel Sanders ’20 of Morgan Hall said that while she placed a work order for an ant infestation, she was left more uncomfortable with the result than before.

“When I [moved in]to my dorm, everything looked fine. A couple of days later is when I started noticing ants moving up and down the green lining of the wall. I was pretty freaked out.” She said that she then placed a work order, which resulted in poison being left all across her room. “I felt very uncomfortable with that.”

Sanders said she ended up dealing with the problem herself. “I just spray them with Raid. I know I wasn’t supposed to do that according to the maintenance people, but it makes me feel more comfortable. I’m glad they weren’t roaches or anything else.”

Vorodi also added that “some building types are more difficult to manage than others.” He also said that many issues can contribute to a bug presence, but that “the most common correlation I see with insect pest issues is sanitation. Clean kitchens, vacuumed and mopped floors and frequent trash removal go a long way towards keeping a dwelling pest free.”

Natalie Suess ’20 of the Romance Language House said her biggest problem regarding bugs is the lack of screens on her windows. “They don’t have any screens in the windows, so a lot of bugs get in normally. There’s always fruit flies in there. I really don’t like bugs, I’m scared.”

While Cheyenne Moore ’18, of Atwater normally appreciates bugs, she has also had issues with the animals in her residential building.

“I love bugs! I’m often the person people ask to get rid of their bugs…[However,] a ton [of bugs do] get in around my window AC unit. Also, spiders. I found one in my hot water kettle.”

Issues have also been reported from academic buildings. Olivia Termini ’19, reports hearing crickets in East College and Kaufman. “Since I study in the classics department this is not the first time I have encountered the crickets. The cricket during daylight was pretty annoying during class but we did our best to tune it out. Overall it is pretty gross that they are around East College. I was surprised that there were also crickets in Kaufman.”

Vorodi described reports this year as standard, saying in an email that “Just as students and their parents have incidents of ants, fruit flies, millipedes in their homes, we get them here.”