Fired Shots at Deli-Q Prompt Alerts from College

Rachael Franchini ’19, Co-Editor-in-Chief

In response to the firing of a gun last Saturday evening outside of the Quick Stop Deli, Dickinson College sent two emails and one text message alert to the community, as well as an email about active shooter preparedness. 

The gun was fired at approximately 5:30 p.m. on Saturday. The Quick Stop Deli is located at the corner of W. Louther and Cedar Street and it is adjacent to the Goodyear residence hall, home to approximately 120 students. 

The first communication from Dickinson was a text sent at 5:53 p.m. It advised students to avoid the area, stating that the incident did not involve Dickinson. “We are notifying you out of an abundance of caution,” it read. An identical email was also sent. 

A follow-up email was sent at 6:43 p.m. that informed students that the subjects involved in the shooting had fled the area.

On Tuesday, Oct. 9 at 2:10 p.m., an email was sent to the campus community from President Margee Ensign informing the community of active shooter preparedness resources.

“As we continue to see news of tragic shootings,” it read, “it’s important that all members of our community are prepared for and able to respond to such an emergency.”

According to the email, the college has a Totara training module which students, faculty and staff are “required to complete this training on an annual basis.”

The email did not mention the incident from Saturday evening.

Patrolman Michael Layton-Herron confirmed at 11:30 p.m. on Tuesday that no suspect from the shooting had been prosecuted as of that time.