Second Largest Group to Oxford

Stephanie Czmar ’19, Managing Editor

Five Dickinsonians have been selected to attend the Mansfield College Visiting Student Programme in Oxford this coming academic year. This will make them the second-largest group Dickinson has ever sent to the program according to the Dickinson College website.

The website also stated that this program accepts 35-40 students per year and only students with GPAs of 3.7 or higher are eligible to apply. Dickinson has sent 19 students to study abroad in Oxford since 2013.

The students accepted into the program this coming academic year include: Rita Hao ’21, international business & management and philosophy; Jacob Kaufhold ’21, economics; Trang Nguyen ’21, English; Maizie Ober ’21, philosophy; and Henry Orlee ’21, classical studies and religion.

Kaufhold wrote in an email, “I feel very honored to have been selected after the long and difficult application process, and I’m sure I wouldn’t be here without the support of the professors who helped me at every stage.”

Kaufhold learned about the program while looking at colleges in high school and said “I remember… thinking about what a cool opportunity that would be,” but “I had never expected that I would actually get to go!”

Orlee said, “I’m certainly looking forward to learning about specific but fascinating topics and soaking in the history of the institution.”

He is specifically looking forward to Oxford because of its “ample opportunity to study Christian history and theology at a depth usually unavailable at Dickinson, and [that] many prominent Christian thinkers have studied at Oxford over the last five hundred years.”

Professor Ed Webb is the on-campus coordinator this year and “worked hard to recruit a diverse group of majors,” according to Samantha Brandauer ’95, associate provost and executive director of the Center for Global Study and Engagement.

The largest group of Dickinsonians was a group of six and they were sent to Oxford in 2014 according to an article on the college website published on Feb. 24, 2014.