Spradley-Young Roof Damaged During Strong Winds


Courtesy of Walker Kmetz ’25

Due to strong winds, part of the roof of Spradley-Young Hall was torn off late in the night on Saturday, April 1.

Non-residents were asked to clear the building’s premises at midnight, although students continued to observe throughout the night. VP and Dean of Student Life George Stroud told The Dickinsonian that no one was injured when “extremely high winds” lifted the rubber roofing material on the top of the building causing it to fly off.

Dickinson’s Residence Life and Student Life offices immediately contacted all students who live in Spradley-Young, a mixed-year residence hall, and asked those who could find friends to stay with to do so. Students who did not stay with friends were temporarily placed in vacant residences in Buchanan.

At least one group of students, including Katie Burford ’26, rented a hotel room since most residents “were left to their own devices.”

“Since most of my friends are in Spradley, we all ended up having to get a hotel room,” Burford went on to explain.

When it comes to temporary housing, Burford said she feels that this is a “really good opportunity” for the school to learn and find extra housing for people. While this is an extreme scenario, she says even cases of COVID can make housing difficult – and that “I feel like they need to get a definite place that people can go, or maybe make a better relationship with Comfort Inn” to house students in extraordinary circumstances such as these.

In an email to Spradley-Young residents the following afternoon, Stroud wrote that a local roofing company had inspected the damage and confirmed that the building was safe to re-enter. Internal damage was minimal, with ceiling tiles in the third floor bathroom being the most notable impact. He noted that repairs would begin immediately, but suggested that in the interim, residents of the third floor cover their valuables to protect them from water possibly entering via the damaged roof.

Construction is continuing throughout the week, with Burford saying it has been very loud and starts around 5 a.m, though Stroud’s email told students work would start at 7 a.m.

Stroud encouraged any students uncomfortable returning to Spradley-Young to contact Residence Life.