In Defense of Introverts

In today’s increasingly competitive world, great stress is placed upon being an extroverted, Type A individual. Naturally, for most job companies, extroverts possess excellent assets to have: they are quick decision-makers, sociable workers, and natural leaders. Because these positive attributes are accepted as valuable within the working world, educators place an emphasis on their students to strive to be extroverts as well. We are constantly told that being an extrovert means success. An outgoing person is not only more likely to be hired, but also more likely to be accepted by others in general.

But where does this leave introverts? A lot of the time, we introverts feel overwhelmed by the thought that we will not be appreciated just because being social does not come as easily to us. I will put this out there right now: I am an introvert and it is not easy. Introverts usually feel anxious in social situations, which can lead to feelings of insecurity and inferiority. Don’t get me wrong—extroverts are awesome. It is true that, in general, introverts admire them and even try to emulate their friendliness. However, when you are reserved, it makes interactions much more difficult. But that does not mean introverts are not just as valuable in companies. In fact, I think educators should show what great assets introverts are to any organization as well. We may not make quick decisions, but we do make very well-thought out ones, even if it takes a bit more time. We are excellent listeners, creative, and social once we get to know people. Introverts are largely misunderstood as antisocial or cold people who are unfriendly and unwilling to meet new people. False! We are just more reserved.

Yet, by all means, snap us out of that reservation. We want to know you better but just might not know how to begin a conversation without feeling awkward. Companies need both extroverts and introverts to keep a good balance. If educators taught students that important lesson, then there would be a hell of a lot more confident introverts. After all, there is nothing shameful about being introverted.