The Importance of Opinions

Drew Kaplan ’20, Associate Opinion Editor

Freedom of thought is one of the most important principles on a college campus; it forms the bedrock on which all academic inquiry is based. If I disagree with something someone has said, I am allowed to voice my disagreement, and present my own side.

I feel as though freedom of thought is more important on college campuses than it is nearly anywhere else. This is because, generally, we are old enough to process and interpret information critically, but young enough that we haven’t yet become set in our ways. The college years span a critical juncture in our development.

After watching the election last year play out, and all of the accusations regarding “fake news,” I feel it is important that we keep an open mind and evaluate the facts as they emerge, rather than place blind faith in a news organization.

At best, the news provides a basic summary of any issue it covers. However, not every organization remains neutral, and some use their influence to promote their particular views and earn money. Media companies are businesses, after all.

In many situations, it simply doesn’t suffice to hear others summarize the issues; we must examine the facts ourselves and form our own conclusions.

Now more than ever, we need to think critically and develop our own opinions as to what is true and what is not.

Reliance upon the work of others is a poor way to understand the world and us students are old enough to critically analyze the world around us, to form our own opinions and to reach our own conclusions.

It is key we develop our own opinions on issues, and defend our own opinions in the face of opposing views. We may change our opinions, but we must develop them ourselves.