Beyoncé Shifts into Country Music

Beyoncé Shifts into Country Music

While this past Superbowl was filled with ecstatic Chiefs fans basking in their win, I was thrilled to watch Beyoncé’s Verizon commercial that ended with the huge announcement that she would be dropping not one, but two new country singles that same night. 

I am not a big country fan, but Beyoncé has changed my perspective. Her two new singles, “Texas Hold ‘Em” and “16 Carriages,” are masterpieces that express unique but authentic emotions. I have had these two songs on repeat since they came out on February 11, and I am eagerly waiting for her highly anticipated album “act ii: Cowboy Carter,” to be released on March 29.

Beyoncé was born and raised in Texas, a major home of country music. Listeners have doubted her ability to produce and make quality music in a genre that is outside of her nature, but these two singles proved she can do any genre. Her versatility and vocal range is some of the best of our generation. It will be exciting to see how she incorporates that into her country album. 

“Texas Hold ‘Em” is a tune that gets people on their feet. Its upbeat melody and engaging beat have me wanting to whip out my cowboy boots. The lyrics are fun and pay tribute to her Texan roots.This song is also for romantics, and describes those first love butterflies by using intimate words to captivate audiences.

The song fits into the country aesthetic while balancing pop to appeal to a variety of music lovers. This dancing single is joyful, and balances out the country ballad “16 Carriages.”

“16 Carriages” describes the struggles of growing up in the music and entertainment industry. Beyoncé reflects on her family, home life, and her experience in Destiny’s Child at the beginning of her career. She describes the struggles of being an innocent child in a roaring industry that is known to force many young stars to grow up earlier than they should through her lyrics. 

This song is a journey of self-identity and learning to fight and advocate for yourself. It also mentions the melancholy feeling of having to give up your true dreams and goals to keep up with the demands of the industry, and having to keep these conflicting emotions suppressed. 

This ballad is heartfelt and tugs on listeners’ hearts as its lyrics are authentic and real.

These two new singles are just snippets of what is to come from her new album, which is the second part to her most recent album, “Renaissance.” Its record breaking world tour brought many fans together for 56 nights of dancing, singing, and transformation. 

From the massive digital stage, dancing, outfits, vocals, visuals, and transitions, it was an unforgettable experience. Fans couldn’t get enough of the Renaissance World Tour and film, and there are hopes that she will tour again with her upcoming album. 

This Renaissance era is one to appreciate and love, because the music she has put out so far has been incredible and delectable, and it can only get better from here.