Last-Second Free Throws Lead Women’s Bball to Thrilling Victory

The Red Devils split their two games last week, losing to McDaniel on Jan. 31, 61-49, before rebounding to defeat Washington College, 56-55, on Feb. 2. The loss to McDaniel hurt the Devils’ playoff chances as they currently sit 1.5 games back with four left to play.

On Saturday, Feb. 2, the Red Devils took the Kline Center court with a playoff spot hanging in the balance after losing to McDaniel two days earlier. The first half was a defensive battle with neither team able to establish great offensive rhythm. As both teams went back and forth, Washington, the bigger team, dominated the glass with 11 offensive rebounds. However, the smaller Red Devils stood their ground and entered the half leading 25-21.

Washington, whose frontline averaged 6’1”, exploded out of the gate in the second half with an 8-1 run, and later extended their later to 47-40 with 5:41 to go.  Following a timeout, Dickinson rattled off nine straight points and re-claimed the lead on a Belma Mekic’s ’13 jump shot with 2:51 left.

With just over a minute to go, a pair of free throws by Washington tied the game. Then, with 20 seconds left in the game and one second left on the shot clock, the Shorewomen hit a huge basket to take a 55-53 lead, but, their defense made a critical mistake and fouled the Red Devils on the ensuing possession. Dana Walsh ’13 went to the line with four seconds left and a chance to tie the game, but, after making the first, she missed the second and the Shorewomen grabbed the rebound. Dickinson was forced to foul. After a miss by Washington, Mekic came crashing in to grab the rebound and whistles were blown, this time for a loose-ball foul on Washington.

Mekic stepped to the line and hit both shots to give the Devils a one-point lead. “I was pretty nervous on the line, but I felt confident. After making the first, I knew I didn’t want the game to go into overtime so I had to make the second shot and thankfully I did,” she said.

Not only did she hit the game winning free-throw with two seconds left, but she also intercepted Washington’s inbounds pass when they looked to get off the last shot. She finished with a  game-high 22 points.

The win moved the Red Devils to 12-8 overall and 8-8 on the conference. “It meant a lot to get this win, it has pushed us forward on the run to get into the playoffs,” said Mekic. “We are working hard and playing with confidence and have a great opportunity ahead of us.”

Senior Day will be held on Saturday, Feb. 9, as the Devils host Bryn Mawr.