Devils Sweep LBC; Fall to Messiah

Harley Moore ‘15 went the distance and struck out 12 in a 9-2 win over Lancaster Bible College.

The Red Devils swept their home-opening doubleheader on Sat., March 2 before falling to Messiah on Tues., March 5. Dickinson beat Lancaster Bible College 7-0 in the first game and 9-2 in the second; Messiah beat Dickinson 7-1.

Ryan Kramer ‘14 drew the start in the first game on Saturday. Kramer went six strong, allowing only two hits and walking three. Lancaster Bible did not have a hit in Kramer’s last four innings on the mound. Bryan Wacker ‘15 came on to pitch the seventh, sealing the combined shutout for the Red Devils’ staff.

The Dickinson offense had 10 hits, highlighted by two apiece from Joe Tursi ‘14 and Hank Sanders ‘14. Five different Red Devils had RBIs.

Harley Moore ‘15 threw a complete game in the second game of Saturday’s doubleheader. Moore struck out 12 and allowed only two hits.

Steve Haynes ‘15 led the Dickinson offense with fourRBIs. Haynes went 2-4 with two doubles, including one in a four-run sixth inning. Mitch Helmandollar ‘15, hitting second and right in front of Haynes in the order, went 3-4 , stole two bases, and scored three times. Dickinson pounded out 11 hits and 21 on the day.

The Dickinson offense only mustered five hits in the 7-1 loss against Messiah. Zee Crawford ‘15 had a team-high two, including a seventh-inning single that knocked in Sam Wachs ‘15, who doubled in the previous at-bat.

Jimmy Robertson ‘16 started and lasted four innings, allowing three runs. Charlie Gaines ‘15, Andrew Mauro ‘13, Thomas Galuchie ‘16, and Zee Crawford ‘16 also pitched, with Galuchie and Crawford throwing a shutout inning apiece.

The Red Devils, who are now 2-3, will play ten games over their annual spring break trip in Florida. They open up with Juniata on Sat., March 9.