Volleyball Struggles in Three Close Losses

The Dickinson volleyball team started off their 2013 season in Gettysburg last weekend. On Friday, Aug. 30, the team played in the Gettysburg Invitational Tournament and finished 1-1. The following day, the team competed in the Gettysburg College Battlefield Class and finished 0-2.

On Aug. 30, the Red Devils defeated Penn State Harrisburg (25-17, 25-19, 25-14). However, the team fell to Shenandoah University in their second match of the day (25-21, 25-19, 27-29, 25-17). Laura Silverman ’16 recorded eight kills on the attack end and three blocks. Joanna DeCastro ’14 added seven kills, five service aces, and five digs. Emily Smith ’16 and Emily Kisak ’14 each had four kills for the win. Jenn Morrissey ’16 recorded 17 assists in the second match. Smith recorded a game-high 15 kills as well as 10 digs. Silverman added seven kills and two blocks. Kisak added another two blocks and five kills. Morrissey added 15 assists for the Red Devils.

On Saturday, the team suffered two losses, one against Gallaudet and one against Penn State Altoona, 3-0 and 3-1, respectively.

Gallaudet won the first set, 25-16. Dickinson came back and won the second set, 25-18. However, the team fell short in the final two sets, 25-20 and 25-21. Kisask added 11 kills, two aces, and three blocks. Smith recorded seven kills as well as an ace and seven digs. Silverman added seven kills, two blocks, and a pair of aces for the match. Morrissey added 19 assists and six digs despite the team’s tournament lose.

Altoona swept the Red Devils in three highly contested sets (25-18, 28-26, 25-21). Smith recorded 10 kills, Silverman added eight, and DeCastro with seven. Morrissey added another 19 assists against Altoona.

Despite the losses, the women are expecting to be very competitive this season. “We had a great start to the season and I’m looking forward to our future success. This year as a team we want to continue our streak we started at the end of last season. I can’t wait for conference games to start,” said Morrissey.

The Red Devils will be traveling to the Susquehanna Invitational this weekend. On Friday, Sept. 6 they will play Allegheny at 8 p.m., and on Saturday, Sept. 7 they have a doubleheader with game one against Haverford at 11a.m. and game two against Morrisville St. at 3 p.m.