Red Devils Ready to Rematch Diplomats

The #11 ranked Dickinson men’s basketball team split its final two games of the regular season, topping Muhlenberg at home on Wednesday, February 18 and falling to Franklin & Marshall in Lancaster on Saturday, February 21.

In the Muhlenberg game, both teams struggled offensively in the early going, as both teams were tied after 5 minutes of play. Shortly thereafter, Ted Hinnenkamp ’16 made a basket and drained 2 free-throws to put the Red Devils up 8-4.

The Mules went on a 4-point run to tie the game at 8, but Dickinson countered with a run of their own to take a 20-12 lead with about 6 minutes left in the first half. Muhlenberg tried to catch back up before half time but were kept at bay as Dickinson entered halftime with a 27-20 lead.

Brandon Angradi ’16 sank a 3-pointer and Gerry Wixted ’15 tacked on 2 points of his own to extend the Red Devils’ lead to 12 at the start of the second half. Muhlenberg went on an 8-0 run to cut Dickinson’s lead to 4 with just over 5 minutes in and the scoring went back and forth and the Mules eventually came within 3, with a score of 38-35 with 8:20 left to play in regulation. Baskets by Hinnenkamp and Pete Yingst ’15 extended the lead to 8.

Muhlenberg managed to make a late push, reducing the defecit to 5 with just over 5 minutes left to play, but Hinnenkamp managed to score twice and Angradi was on the mark with all 5 of his free throws in the last minute, helping Dickinson hold on for a 53-43 win.

Hinnenkamp ended the game with 19 points and 7 rebounds while Angradi tallied 15 points and 3 assists and made all 6 of his free throws. Wixted came home with 4 points and 11 boards and Steve Collins ’15 scored 6 points to go along with 4 rebounds.

In the Franklin & Marshall game, both teams were unable to score until almost 3 minutes in. Dickinson took first blood, with Collins converting a textbook layup.
The Diplomats struck back with a 4-point run of their own, but Wixted drew a foul and tied the game up by making both of his free throws with 14:25 left in the first half. The two teams then traded scores with Angradi sinking a 3-pointer to bring the score to 10-7 and Wixted drained a 3-pointer of his own to tie the game before Franklin & Marshal went on a commanding 10-0 run. Wixted managed a 3-point play but the Diplomats scored twice to push their lead to 25-13.

Scoring went back and forth until intermission and Franklin and Marshall entered the half with a 33-23 lead.

Dickinson and the Diplomats continued to trade scores as Franklin & Marshall lead 46-31 five minutes into the half, despite Angradi and Wixted each hitting 2 free-throws. Angradi and Wixted both scored again but Franklin & Marshall kept pace to keep their lead at 15 with 10 minutes left to play.

Scores by Angradi, Hinnenkamp, and Yingst cut the Diplomats’ lead to 10 with 6 minutes left and Wixted managed to hit a pair of free throws, but it wasn’t enough to erase the defecit and the Red Devils came up short by a final score of 69-53.

Wixted scored a game-high 25 points to go along with 10 rebounds and hitting the mark on 12 of his 13 free-throws. Angradi ended up with 13 points and 5 rebounds and Chris Cox ’15 totaled 7 rebounds of his own.

The Red Devils end the regular season with a record of 20-5, their third straight 20-win season. They travel to Johns Hopkins University to face Franklin and Marshall again on Friday, February 28 at 6:00 pm in the Centennial Conference Tournament semifinals. McDaniel and Gettysburg will square off in the play in game this Wednesday. February 25. The winner will go on to face the top-seeded Blue Jays of Johns Hopkins at 8 PM on Friday following the Dickinson game. Should the Red Devils advance; the final will be Saturday, February 28 at 7 PM at Hopkins against the winner of the other semifinal.