An Ode to The Women’s Basketball Team

As of Monday, Feb. 5, Dickinson Women’s Basketball have won 11 games in a row. The Red Devils are also undefeated at home. They have provided fans with their typically well rounded game throughout the year. 

Their win streak started against then-ninth ranked Smith College. Smith had gone unbeaten at home for 43 games until Dickinson knocked them off. Since that game, Dickinson has handily beaten their Centennial Conference opponents. Their next ten wins have all been relatively comfortable for the Red Devils.

Dickinson is playing the same brand of basketball they have played since Aby Diop became coach two seasons ago. Since Diop took over the reins, Dickinson has played elite defense. They play gritty, they play tough and they don’t get outworked by other teams. The Red Devils do all the important work that doesn’t necessarily show up in the box score, but certainly shows up in the win column. This year they are again in the top ten in most defensive metrics. Captain Lindsey Hollenshead ’24 understands the Dickinson and Diop way. She said “We pride ourselves on our Dickinson defense. Even if our shots aren’t falling, we can control the loose balls and rebounds and I think that’s what (the coaches) enforce, just doing the little things.” 

Although it is a group effort, the Red Devils do not lack star power. Clair Marion ’25 has blossomed into a star for the Red Devils. Marion has been named Centennial Conference Player of the Week three times, including back to back honors. Marion is the team’s leading scorer by far, averaging around 18 points per game.

Caitlin Blackman ’25, the point guard, is the floor general of the team. She controls the offense, fills up the box score and is the epitome of the tough Dickinson identity. Blackman leads the team in rebounds despite being the shortest player on the team. Hollenshead has taken on the leadership role confidently. She constantly works to help her teammates. Hollenshead is also first on the team in assists and second in scoring and rebounding. 

The overall collectivity of the team is very noticeable. I’ve said it about other Dickinson teams, but this team is a particularly tight knit group who play with a lot of joy and love for each other. They are an easy team to root for, and all it takes to understand why is to see them pregame. No matter the stakes, the players are always dancing, laughing and hyping each other up. Hollenshead said, “our team is so close knit, we really are fourteen best friends. I also think positivity and energy are what carries us into our wins.” 

The results speak for themselves, especially in the first quarter. At home, the Red Devils always come out hot and raring to go. They usually get off to a big lead early. That is due to the energy the players create amongst themselves. This is especially the case at home, where the players get 

to listen to their perfectly crafted hype up playlist that seems to never fail. Hollenshead said “we take a lot of pride in being here. This is our home court. We don’t want anyone coming here and taking over our territory.”

The Red Devils haven’t let anyone win at the Kline Center this season. They face a very tough task Thursday against conference power house, Johns Hopkins, but the Red Devils have a lot of belief in each other, especially if they can play their brand of basketball. Hollenshead said “we play together, all fourteen of us. No matter what, that builds our confidence more than anything. Everyone is really happy for each other. Everyone wants everyone else to do really well. I think whenever we play like a collective unit, that’s when we play our best and that’s what we’ve done” during the winning streak.

The team has given the Dickinson community lots of reasons to support them. Now it’s time for the Red Devils to get that support. For a fierce game Thursday, a large crowd could make all the difference.